Ah, 2023. The future is here – and it looks good!
With the increasing power of technology, web design trends have reached new heights of creativity in crafting beautiful user interfaces and experiences.
But with all these possibilities comes the challenge – how do you keep ahead of the curve and on top of the trends?
I’ve been working in web design and development for over a decade, so I’m well-versed in getting cutting-edge results that keep up with the times.
I know keeping up with trends in web design can be tricky, so I’m bringing you 13 website design trends for 2023.
Our Top Web Design Trends for 2023
It’s an exciting time of year when we look ahead to the web design trends shaping websites for the rest of the year.
2023 is likely to be a big one for web design, so strap in and get ready for some significant shifts.
We’re predicting bold choices from web developers who will have fun pushing boundaries as they make their web designs truly stand out from the crowd.
With web design being an ever-evolving art form, there are sure to be some exciting trends paving the way forward throughout 2023.
1. Hoverable Icons
Web design is rapidly evolving as new trends emerge and web designers learn to utilize existing tools more efficiently.
One of the latest web design trends is hoverable icons that allow users additional information about their functions by hovering their mouse over them.
Here are some of the benefits of implementing hoverable icons:
- They can help make webpages more interactive and engaging for web users – allowing them to see additional information by hovering or mousing over a particular icon.
- They don’t take up much space, so web designers can utilize them without sacrificing too much screen real estate on their web pages.
- They help bridge the gap between those who understand less obvious graphic symbols and those who may require more text-heavy explanations.
By providing an extra layer of clarification in addition to the icon, web designers ensure that users get a better understanding of what they’re looking at while browsing websites.
This makes web designing a lot easier, not only for its creators but also for its users!
2. Vintage Design Looks
This year, web design trends are leaning heavily into the nostalgic aesthetics of the early 2000s.
Typefaces, fonts, images, and custom cursors are used liberally to channel that vintage feel.
Here are some ways you might see the Y2K aesthetic used in web design in 2023.
- As web design trends continue to evolve, Y2K fonts and poppin’ text-based designs have been popping up more and more.
- This distinct style has bold and mixed fonts for an eye-catching composition.
- You’ll recognize some of the more straightforward sans serif or monospaced fonts from the early 2000s
The return of custom cursors:
- With web design trends shifting to focus more on user-friendly experiences and innovative visuals, custom cursors are making a comeback.
- If you were a kid of the Y2K era, you might recall changing your cursor into whatever fun animation or image that caught your fancy – a clock, a cat, fairy dust, and so on.
- Nowadays, web developers can create custom cursors with an original image as an icon or use animated effects to create a truly interactive web experience.
- Initially a necessity in the formative days of computing, this familiar pattern of pixels has evolved into an exciting aesthetic that designers are utilizing in images and fonts to add a unique visual appeal to their designs.
- Pixelation adds an unmistakable retro touch that is visually captivating and distinctly nostalgic for those who were around for the dawn of web design.
If you want to incorporate Y2K into your web designs, a good tip is to take just one element from this era, like bold typeface or web animation, and reinterpret it to suit modern trends – it keeps the Y2K vibes without seeming too over-the-top kitsch.
3. More Social Proof
Following web design trends in 2023, web designers are sure to factor in the importance of “social proof,” providing users with extra assurance that web content is truthful and trustworthy.
Testimonials from people who use the site, experts and/or celebrities, security seals, links to other trusted sources – all these features can help increase confidence in web content.
There are other approaches for businesses without enough social proof yet, such as including trust marks on the web page.
Examples of trust marks include:
- Displaying security badges
- Professional website design
- Fast loading pages
- Selling well-known brand names
- Providing contact details
All these signals create trust for potential customers, incrementally boosting sales and brand loyalty.
Web designers must take trust-building measures seriously since credibility is a crucial factor in user engagement.
4. More Focus on Mobile
In web design, trends are constantly changing and quickly evolving.
Recently, web design trends are shifting towards a mobile-friendly focus. Mobile sites will start to look more like apps instead of simply being adaptations of their desktop counterparts.
This means that web developers will aim for user experience specifically tailored to those on the go, and the data their users are looking for won’t be hidden.
- Ensuring web content, including images, videos, and ads, all look great on different mobile devices is essential for web design.
- The increasing speed of mobile technology necessitates web designers to keep up with the changes to ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience for web users.
Mobile platforms also allow web designers to get creative with how they represent information onscreen – something we may not have expected even a few years ago!
5. Custom Typefaces
Preparing for the next phase of web development, custom typefaces are set to be the defining aesthetic, taking various forms from hand-crafted lettering to organic and illustrative fonts.
Not simply settling for common fonts or traditional web designs, webmasters are now customizing their web pages to make them stand out.
Let’s look at some styles and typefaces projected to be popular in 2023.
- A popular style of custom lettering, called trompe l’oeil or “fool the eye” in French, is making a splash.
- With this lettering style, web designers can create a realistic illusion of texture and depth, as if it’s jumping right off the screen.
- Chalk drawings, metal signs, neon lighting effects, and even textile embroidery elements can be produced with this technique – allowing web designers to generate unique pieces of artwork very different from traditional web designs.
Hand Drawn Appeal:
- Colorful hand-drawn lettering has also become increasingly common.
- We’ve seen designers pairing this up with illustrations to add an extra level of personality and emotion to web designs.
- These fonts create a unique experience for users, adding an attractive yet understated touch of artistry – perfect for creating a memorable web presence.
Stencils and Cut-Outs:
- Stenciled and screen-printed font designs are becoming increasingly popular.
- Bold, graphic lettering with heavy font weights, sharp edges, and straight lines creates web designs that are both eye-catching and legible.
Whether you have some graphic illustration skills or just want to use font-generating tools, this trend presents an exciting opportunity to make your web design stand out with a distinctive style and extra personalization.
While other web design trends come and go, this looks to become a significant trend that evolves into something unique over time.
6. Shapes and Textures
In web design trends for 2023, we can expect to see an increased focus on organic shapes and textures.
Subtle textures used strategically around the page provide visual stimulation while softening the hard edges, creating a visually appealing web page.
- Textures can be part of the overall background imagery to soften larger web designs.
- This allows web designers to maximize their web pages’ potential without relying on heavy graphic elements that overwhelm viewers.
The strategic use of organic shapes and textures will make 2023 web page designs interesting to look at and explore!
7. More Video
Web design trends reveal that including videos on web pages is becoming more and more popular.
It’s hard not to appreciate the convenience that comes along with the video: if you don’t want to spend hours scrolling through text, then clicking ‘play’ gives you a prime opportunity to get caught up right away.
Video is becoming an increasingly important web design trend in 2023, and there’s no shortage of innovative ways to leverage it:
- Whether incorporated into web design, page backgrounds, or as a standalone feature, video content allows web developers to create dynamic webpages that engage and enthrall users.
- It can also be used for storytelling, creating memories, showcasing products or services in action, and more.
- From testimonials to how-to directions and corporate history to personnel introductions, video can provide a wealth of information quickly and easily.
- Animations and graphic features are often added to video content to draw users in and make it fun and engaging and easier to absorb all the information it holds.
That said, web designers should know where video content fits on the page and how many videos they’re including.
Too many can slow loading times for webpages and become a total hassle for viewers.
Today, more than ever before, web design professionals are utilizing video content as an integral part of their toolkits.
8. Digital Illustrations
Digital illustrations are becoming increasingly popular web design trends.
With this trend on the rise, businesses have found clever ways to incorporate illustrations into their web designs.
There are many reasons web designers choose to add a digital illustration to their designs:
- Illustrations can increase aesthetic value while also serving an educational purpose, presenting web content in an engaging way.
- Digital illustrations can be used to add color, creativity, and meaning to web pages so that users better understand and interact with web content.
Let’s look at the styles of illustration that you’ll see around the web in 2023.
- It’s time to say goodbye to flat illustration styles; web designers everywhere are welcoming the 2021 resurgence of 3D illustrations.
- With web design trends constantly evolving, 3D designs offer a way for web projects to stand out from their competitors and make more of an impact.
- Harnessing this unique design style is sure to develop more creative websites that captivate and engage users with new visuals, unlike anything they’ve seen before!
Inspired by Claymation:
- Claymation designs combine the whimsical shapes of 3D effects with the more casual, cartoonish figures seen in web design for the past few years.
- This combination could provide web designers with exciting and enticing possibilities for visuals that can engage web viewers in a unique and visually appealing way.
Ultimately, the creative use of digital illustrations can make a webpage stand out from the competition and result in more engagement from visitors.
9. Loading Animations
There’s no doubt that web users are impatient. We want what we want, and we want it now!
That’s why web designers have to get creative when it comes to keeping users engaged while they wait for content to load.
One of the latest trends is using fun and exciting loading animations.
- From colorful spinners to quirky illustrations, these animations can help ease the wait and even add a bit of personality to your site.
- A loading screen is another opportunity to engage with viewers and communicate your identity on your website.
- Plus, web users hate waiting for pages to load. Animations make waiting feel less like a chore.
In the early days of the web, these animations were all the rage. But they fell out of style for a long time.
Recently, though, we’ve seen many designers start to incorporate loading screens into their designs again. And this trend is only going to continue in 2023.
So if you’re looking to stay ahead of the trends, keep an eye out for loading screens in web design. They’re here to stay.
10. Heavier Focus on EAT (Expertise Authority and Trust)
This year, there is a heavier focus on EAT (Expertise, Authority, and Trust).
This means that your website should be designed in a way that shows you are an expert in your field and that your visitors can trust you.
Here are some ways to incorporate EAT into your web design:
- Make sure your website is informative and easy to navigate. Your visitors should be able to quickly find what they’re looking for.
- Include testimonials and reviews from satisfied customers. This will show potential customers that you’re trustworthy and that others have had positive experiences with your business.
- Relying on experts, celebrities, other users, and crowd wisdom can be a great way to get web visitors to give the site a chance to build trust.
- Make sure your website is up-to-date with the latest information. This will show that you’re keeping up with the latest trends and that you’re an authority in your field.
Understanding how to create reliable sources of trust has always been a fundamental element in web design trends. It’s even more critical in today’s digital world, which is full of misinformation and disinformation.
Utilizing these methods may seem like an extra effort when designing webpages, but it is essential for webpages to succeed in establishing a trusted relationship with web visitors.
11. Better Chatbots
If you’re in web design, you know that chatbots are becoming more and more popular.
And for a good reason – they can provide a great user experience, help with conversions and sales, and be a lot of fun to interact with.
But not all chatbots are created equal. Here are some tips for making sure your chatbot is one of the good ones:
- Keep it simple: A chatbot should be easy to use and understand. That means using plain language and avoiding jargon.
- Make it human: Chatbots are meant to simulate human conversation, so make sure your bot sounds natural like a real person.
- Be responsive: A chatbot that takes a long time to respond or doesn’t answer questions accurately will frustrate users.
- Be engaging: A chatbot should be interesting to talk to, so take some time to come up with witty responses and fun conversation starters.
Follow these tips, and you’ll be well on your way to creating a chatbot that wows your users.
12. Customizable User Journeys
It’s no secret that web design trends come and go. One minute, it’s all about flat design; the next, it’s all about material design. But one trend that’s here to stay is customizable user journeys.
What are customizable user journeys?
- In a nutshell, they’re web designs that allow users to dictate their own experience.
- Rather than following a set path, users can choose where they want to go and what they want to see.
- This trend is especially useful for large websites with lots of content.
- Website building platforms are giving designers the tools to quickly create user-friendly sites with features like dark mode and sound.
- There is also a greater awareness of accessibility, which is essential for making sure everyone can enjoy the web.
People respond well to sites that accommodate their preferences, so this is definitely a trend to watch out for in the coming years.
Customizable user journeys are becoming increasingly popular as they give users a sense of ownership over their experience.
If you’re considering incorporating this trend into your web design, keep in mind that it’s essential to strike the right balance between letting users roam freely and providing enough guidance, so they don’t feel lost.
That way, you can create a website that both keeps your visitors engaged and ensures they don’t miss out on any meaningful content.
13. Higher Focus on User Engagement
In today’s web landscape, it’s more important than ever to create a website that keeps users coming back for more. And the best way to do that is to keep them engaged.
Here are some ways you can increase user engagement on your website:
- Use compelling visuals: Whether it’s images, videos, or infographics, humans are visual creatures and will respond more favorably to content that’s easy on the eyes.
- Write engaging copy: Copywriting is an art form, and the better you are at it, the more likely users are to stick around your site. Pay attention to headlines, subheadings, and calls to action – these are all crucial elements of good copywriting.
- Create interactive content: Quizzes, polls, and surveys are all great ways to get users involved with your content. The more interactive your content is, the more likely users are to stick around and keep coming back for more.
User engagement is an integral part of web design, and if you want to keep your visitors around for the long haul, it’s something you should focus on.
By putting a higher focus on user engagement, you can create a website that users will love returning to time and again.
Web Design Trends Wrap Up
Web design trends are constantly evolving and it’s crucial to stay up-to-date.
2022 was a big year for web design, with lots of new trends emerging. As we move into 2023, we can expect to see even more unique and exciting trends.
Chatbots, user-friendly interfaces, customizable user journeys, and a higher focus on user engagement are all trends to keep an eye out for.
By leveraging these trends, you can create a website that stands out from the competition and keeps users coming back for more.
So get ready – 2023 is going to be an exciting year for web design!
Now, I’d love to hear your thoughts! What web design trends do you love? What web design trends do you hate? Let me know in the comments!
Web Design Trends FAQ
The future of websites looks bright! The web is constantly evolving, and the trends that are popular today will most likely be replaced by something new in the near future. There’s no way to accurately predict what the future holds for websites, but companies should focus on creating sites that are user-friendly, accessible, and offer a great user experience.
Yes! Web designers are in high demand and will continue to be for the foreseeable future. As websites become more complex and sophisticated, companies need web designers who can build sites that look great, perform well, and are easy to use. With the right skills, a career in web design could be enriching.
Pantone’s 2023 color of the year for 2023 is Viva Magenta 18-1750
In web design, it’s clear that 2023 will be full of exciting colors! We can expect to see bold reds and oranges, as well as warm neutrals, jewel tones, and subtle pinks, making their appearance. Designers have been inspired by traditional craft materials such as wood and embroidery to create more natural palettes and muted hues.
As of 2021, Google, YouTube, and Facebook are the three most popular websites in the world. They all offer a variety of services and content that appeal to users from all walks of life. Together, these three sites account for roughly 40% of total website traffic worldwide.
Let me add a few comments.
1) It is a trend to use the combination of design styles. For example, you can combine material design with neumorphism. Such combinations make sites unique and allows to keep user experience.
2) To implement web design trends without website performance issues you need to hire skilled web developers. Images, gifs and design elements can make website slow. So, web developers need to create pages with clean code.
Great article. Trends are always changing and its good to adapt to each change to keep your website as modernized as possible. Thank you for sharing.